China's Madonna "Wei Wei" Goes Mobiposted by MR WAVETHEORY at 1/31/2007 04:45:00 AM
Dubbed 'China's Madonna', Sweden-based Wei Wei has sold 200 million albums worldwide. She said: "[Mobile phones] allow me to reach my older fans as well as the younger generation who use mobile phones much more than PCs for accessing the Internet. I'm also happy that direct-to-consumer downloading helps prevent bootlegged albums – a major problem in my home country."
That is a great marketing ploy! With ringtones generating often as much if not more sales than albums, you'd figure that albums that go straight to mobile (or ringtone) is the next big growth market just like films that make it straight to video.
Neat fact of WeiWei.
* She was born in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia and grew up in Liuzhou,Guangxi.
* Wei Wei is said to be the country's greatest singer in modern times.
* Epithets: “China’s Whitney Houston”, “China’s Madonna” and “China’s Celine”,
* Albums sold: 200 million cassettes and CD’s in China, one of best selling single artists in the world.
* Languages: Mandarin and English
* Marriage: Divorced April 17 2004, after 10 years of marriage. Wei Wei was divorced by her American husband Michael Joseph Smith in their adopted home country of Sweden.
Homepage: Wei Wei Music (in english and mandarin) Wei Wei Mobi (mobile)