« Home | Cramer: Yahoo! Inc Worth $12 Bucks Alone $30 Bucks... » | Elmer Fudd Takes Over Google Homepage » | Get Your Free MSN SoapBox Account » | EverGreen Solar Wins $100 Million Contract » | Look Boss! I Lost $120 million in South Korea! » | Friendster Exposed » | PROGS - Wal-Marting Across America » | Do You Love Google? Punting Earnings .. » | Barrons' Weekend Headlines Summary October 16, 20... » | Catching Up on Shows - Watch The Office Season 3 E... »

October 17, 2006

Google Desktop Search Pops Up on My Desktop

posted by MR WAVETHEORY at 10/17/2006 04:03:00 AM
I just restarted my computer and there was a Google Desktop Search (Nasdaq GOOG) icon on my desktop. I wouldn't be mentioning this were it not for the fact that I never asked Google to put an icon on my desktop.
  • I didn't ask Google to change my desktop and I didn't ask for the icon.
  • Nortan Protection just popped up and said "Google Desktop Display would like to access the internet." Being a trusty user of Google, I just said yes.
  • When I rebooted, there was the icon.
  • Not only is my computer running slower, but it seems Google is not respecting my right to choose how it updates my computer.
I use Google frequently, but this type of behavior seems very aggressive. Altering my desktop? Why? I would like to be able to choose what I have on my desktop. Has anyone had the Google Desktop Search icon mysteriously appear on their computer desktops? It is very ungoogley behavior.

This is the sort of trouble that AOL ended up with when it started carrying stealth installations of third party software.
Both AOL's internet software and the AOL Instant Messenger program (AIM) are force installing unwanted software called Viewpoint Media Player on people's computers.

There is no option to not install Viewpoint. In fact, if you remove Viewpoint, it will be reinstalled the next time you load AOL! I could hardly believe it when the first person reported this at the message board. Then a dozen more people showed up to report the same thing.
Tags: , ,

Previous Posts

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you click on prefrences you get an option to remove the box from your desktop. Cool thing about the search box is that if you hit Cltr key twice, it comes to the front and you can start searching quickly.

-V

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home